Thursday, February 26, 2009

it's Recipe thuRsday: Chicken Curry in a Hurry

February 26, 2009

I found this recipe in the Family Fun magazine 2 or 3 years ago and we all love it! This recipe is why I always keep spinach and coconut milk on hand!




RECIPE INGREDIENTS:

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt (I think I put about 1/2 tsp.)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 can (12-14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup canned diced tomatoes (I put a whole 14.5 oz can)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups packed fresh baby spinach (I also have used either frozen --thaw before using-- or canned, and they both are delicious)

1.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and the salt. Cook until softened, about 7 minutes, stirring often. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.

2. Stir in the coconut milk, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.

3. Add the chicken, stir well, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in the spinach and cook for 3 minutes or until wilted, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt. Serve over rice. (I'm a huge fan of jasmine and basmati rices. Mmm!)

Makes 6 servings.

No comments: